Principles for Responsible Investment
February 13, 2012
The Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan is part of a network of international investors who are working to put the six Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) into practice. The Principles reflect the view that environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) risks and opportunities can affect the performance of investment portfolios and therefore must be given appropriate consideration by investors if they are to fulfil their fiduciary duty.
"We are pleased to endorse PRI and look forward to sharing best practices and collaborating with likeminded investors from around the world as we analyze the financial implications of ESG risks and opportunities," said Jim Leech, Teachers' President and CEO. "PRI reflects the increasing importance of responsible investing to our members and potential partners, and is consistent with our core values of championing accountability and risk consciousness."
The Principles for Responsible Investment
- We will incorporate ESG issues into investment analysis and decisionmaking processes.
- We will be active owners and incorporate ESG issues into our ownership policies and practices.
- We will seek appropriate disclosure on ESG issues by the entities in which we invest.
- We will promote acceptance and implementation of the Principles within the investment industry.
- We will work together to enhance our effectiveness in implementing the Principles.
- We will each report on our activities and progress towards implementing the Principles.