Our Board is independent and oversees management of the pension fund and administration of the pension plan.
The plan sponsors, the Ontario government and Ontario Teachers’ Federation (OTF), each appoint five Board members and they jointly select the chair. Each Board member is appointed for a two-year term and can serve up to four consecutive terms. This governance structure plays a crucial role in the plan’s success.
Proactive, engaged and independent
Our experienced Board is active and engaged. They meet with portfolio companies, investment partners, governments and other stakeholders to help the Board fulfill its governance responsibility by giving it a better understanding of the risks and strategic opportunities the plan faces.
Defined benefit pension plans like Ontario Teachers’ are, by design, lifetime benefits, so the Board needs to have a long-term mindset even when dealing with immediate crises. Considerable time at the Board and management tables is spent on strategy and vision.
Since its inception, Ontario Teachers’ has been overseen by independent, professional Board members who are required to make decisions in the best interest of all beneficiaries of the plan.
Vice-Chair: Debbie Stein
Members: Lise Fournel, Gene Lewis and George Lewis
Responsible for the oversight of:
- Financial reporting
- Accounting systems
- Internal controls over financial reporting
- Governance-related matters
Read a detailed description of the Audit & Actuarial Committee [PDF].
Chair: Gene Lewis
Vice-Chair: Monika Federau
- Yves Durocher, L'Association des enseignantes et des enseignants
- Horst Schweinbenz, Retired, Teachers of Ontario
- Tracey Pecarski, Ontario English Catholic Teachers' Association
- Liana Holm, Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario
- Paul Elliott, Ontario Secondary School Teachers' Federation
- Michael Attwood, Kevin Moriarty and Deb Tatters, Government of Ontario
Considers and determines appeals, as provided in Section 87 of Schedule 1 of the Teachers’ Pension Act, from the decisions of Ontario Teachers’ staff concerning a person’s entitlement to, or the amount of, a pension benefit.
While this is a Board committee, its 10 members include only two Board members. Five committee members are nominated by the Ontario Teachers' Federation and three by the Ministry of Education.
Read a detailed description of the Benefits Adjudication Committee [PDF].
For information on appealing decisions, members can read: Your Guide to Benefit Appeals [PDF].
Chair: Patti Croft
Members: Lise Fournel, Monika Federau and Debbie Stein
Assists Ontario Teachers’ in fulfilling its governance responsibilities, which involves reviewing and reporting to the Board on Ontario Teachers’ system of governance, including changes to the:
- Corporate Governance Principles and Proxy Voting Guidelines
- Code of Conduct
- Anti-Bribery/Anti-Corruption Policy
- Portfolio Company Governance Policy and oversight of portfolio company governance
Read a detailed description of the Governance Committee [PDF].
Chair: Cathy Cranston
Members: Patti Croft, Monika Federau, Cindy Forbes, M. George Lewis and Tim Hodgson
Provides oversight and recommendations on:
- Performance results
- Employee relations
- Overall human resource matters, focusing on issues pertaining to the CEO, and executives reporting directly to the CEO and the Chief Investment Officer
Read a detailed description of the Human Resources & Compensation Committee [PDF].
Chair: M. George Lewis
Vice-Chair: Tim Hodgson
Members: All remaining Board members
Assists Ontario Teachers’ in fulfilling its responsibilities as manager of the pension fund, including:
- Overseeing the investment of assets
- Investment-related liabilities
- Management of surplus (or deficit) of the plan
Read a detailed description of the Investment Committee [PDF].
Chair: Cindy Forbes
Members: Gene Lewis, Tim Hodgson, Cathy Cranston and Kathleen O'Neill
Assists the Board in fulfilling its strategic oversight responsibilities in relation to:
- Information technology
- Cyber security
- Data governance
- Procurement and vendor risk management
- Enterprise project management
- Operations including the trade lifecycle, continuity management, and security, both of IT and physical
Read a detailed description of the Operational Risk Committee [PDF].
Find out more about our Board
Our Board members have a deep range of experience and expertise across a variety of sectors and disciplines.