Your spouse and children are entitled to survivor benefits as long as they’re eligible. The type and amount of benefit depends on the type of survivor, your credit in the pension plan and whether you die before or after starting your Ontario Teachers’ pension.
As you go through this section, there are a few questions you’ll want to ask yourself when making decisions about your survivor benefits.
- Do I have an eligible spouse?
- Do I have dependent children?
- Have I named a beneficiary?
- Are my eligible spouse and I in good health?
- What level of financial security does my eligible spouse need when I die?
- How much will it cost for me to provide for my survivors?
The rules around survivor benefits can be complex in certain circumstances. If your last credited service is prior to 1990, contact us for information on death benefits.
Are you retired?
Learn about the benefits your survivors could receive if you die after your first pension payment