Skip to content

Quitting teaching

Your pension could be your biggest financial asset. Take time to learn about your options if you leave teaching before you’re eligible to start your pension.

If you leave teaching permanently in Ontario before you’re eligible to start your pension, you’ll need to decide what to do with the assets you’ve accumulated in your pension plan.

To assist with your decision, you may want to seek the advice of an independent financial adviser. An independent adviser can be a financial planner, an actuary or an accountant whom you trust to give impartial advice and who is qualified to do so. If there’s a chance you'll be returning to employment in education in Ontario, it’s usually best to leave your money in our plan.