Interprovincial Pension Plans
The following pension plans participate in the Interprovincial Transfer Agreement:
- Alberta Teachers' Retirement Fund Board (ATRF)
- British Columbia Teachers' Pension Plan
- Canadian Teachers' Federation Employees' Pension Plan
- Manitoba Teachers' Retirement Allowances Fund (TRAF)
- New Brunswick Teachers' Pension Plan
- Nova Scotia Teachers' Pension Plan
- Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan
- P.E.I. Teachers' Superannuation Fund
- Retraite Québec
- Saskatchewan Teachers' Retirement Plan (STRP)
- Saskatchewan Teachers' Superannuation Commission
- Teachers' Pension Plan Corporation Newfoundland & Labrador
You may qualify to transfer credit through the Interprovincial Transfer Agreement, if:
- you left your pension benefits in your former pension plan; and
- you're not receiving a pension from either Ontario Teachers' or your former plan.
If you're ineligible to transfer credit under the Interprovincial Transfer Agreement, contact us for other possible portability options. For example, you may qualify to buy back credit under the "other employment" provision.
You can apply to transfer your pension any time before you retire, provided you have contributed to Ontario Teachers' for at least 20 days after your resignation date from your former employer.
The following pension plans participate in the MOPPs transfer agreement:
- Electrical Safety Authority Pension Plan
- Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP)
- Hydro One Inc. Pension Plan
- Independent Electricity Market Operator Pension Plan
- Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS)
- Ontario Power Generation Inc. Pension Plan (OPG)
- Ontario Public Service Employees Union Pension Trust (OPTrust)
- Ontario Pension Board (OPB)
- Workplace Safety & Insurance Board Employees Pension Plan (WSIB)
To qualify in the MOPPS transfer agreement, you must:
- join Ontario Teachers' within 18 months of leaving your former MOPPs employer;
- apply for a transfer within six months of when you start contributing to Ontario Teachers'; and
- be entitled to a benefit from your former employer's pension plan.
If you're ineligible to transfer credit under the MOPPs agreement, contact us for other possible portability options. If you're joining Ontario Teachers', you may qualify to buy back credit under the "other employment" provision.
You can apply to transfer your pension within 18 months of resigning from your former employer and starting to contribute to Ontario Teachers'.