Go to the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan main homepage
Skip to main content

Life & Career Events

Throughout Retirement

Accessing your T4A

We mail your T4A to you annually at the end of January, along with your January deposit advice slip. You can also get a duplicate online through the Document Centre.

More than one income source

You've likely gone from one income stream to multiple income streams during retirement. These new streams may include payments from the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) and Old Age Security (OAS), as well as re-employment and investment income.

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) sets the income tax rates for your pensions. You can review the amount of tax deducted from your Ontario Teachers' pension each month by signing in to your Ontario Teachers' account. You can also find it under the "Income Tax" line item on the deposit advice slip we send you by mail every January and any time there is a change to your net pension.

Splitting your pension income

Do either you or your spouse have a higher retirement income than the other? Pension income splitting may help reduce the amount of taxes owed by your household. If eligible, you can allocate up to half of your pension to your married or common-law spouse when you complete your annual tax return.

Finding the right balance depends on your personal situation. Visit CRA's website to see if you qualify. If you do, consult a tax professional to find the optimal split for you and your spouse.

Supplementary health insurance

Please contact your health plan directly for tax-related questions about your medical benefits.