Go to the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan main homepage
Skip to main content

Life & Career Events

Step 1: Apply to Ontario Teachers' for a Statement of Family Law Value

If you're married, either you or your spouse can apply for this statement. If you're in a common-law relationship, only you can apply. If you're both plan members, you're both required to apply to get the Family Law Value for each pension.

The Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario (FSRA) regulates financial services and pensions, including family law matters as they relate to pensions. FSRA replaces the Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO).

Here's how to apply:

  1. Complete the mandatory Application for Family Law Value (FSCO* Form 1). (Instructions and Q&As)
  2. If you don't have proof of the start and/or separation dates of your spousal relationship, complete a Joint Declaration of Period of Spousal Relationship (FSCO* Form 2). (Instructions and Q&As)
  3. If you'd like to authorize a third party who we may contact regarding your Family Law Value, complete a Contact Person Authorization (FSCO* Form 3). (Instructions and Q&As)
  4. Send us Form 1 and if applicable, Forms 2 and/or 3 with all required documentation.

* We’ll refer to these as FSCO forms until FSRA issues new forms.

Ontario Teachers' sends statement to both spouses upon receiving the completed application with all required supporting documents.

Here's how to complete the Pension Plan Information section (Part A or B) of all forms:


  • Forms must be signed in the presence of a witness who is at least 18 years of age. Your spouse/former spouse cannot be a witness. To verify his or her presence, your witness must sign and date forms on the same date as you. Your witness must also print his or her name on the forms and provide his or her contact information.
  • The Family Law Valuation (FLV) Date must be specified in your court order, family arbitration award or domestic contract. The FLV date must match the FLV date identified on your Statement of Family Law Value.
  • If you and/or your former spouse wish to authorize a lawyer or someone else to communicate with and receive information from Ontario Teachers' on your or your former spouse's behalf, we must receive a completed Contact Person Authorization with your application.