What is personal information?
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual. Some examples of personal information we collect about you include:
- Name, address, phone number, email address, age, gender identity, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, etc.
Personal information that we collect may be used for various purposes. See the Use tab for more information on how different personal information is used for different purposes.
How do we collect your personal information?
The personal information we use is collected primarily from three sources: you, cookies and similar technologies, and third party service providers.
- From you – when you access our website located at https://www.otpp.com (the “Website”), when you contact us with a comment, question or complaint and are asked to provide additional information for us to be able to assist you, and in the course of managing Ontario Teachers’ investments and undertaking due diligence.
- From cookies and similar technologies – when you access the Website, it collects information about the pages you view, the links you click and other actions you perform while accessing the Website.
- From third party service providers – when you engage with us, content on the Website, or our content through third-party social networking websites and applications, you may allow us to have access to certain information associated with your social media account, such as name, username, email address, profile picture, etc.
If you’re providing personal information on the Website in your capacity as a member of the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, please review the privacy notice for Members.
How we use and disclose your personal information
We collect, use and share personal information about you for the purposes of managing Ontario Teachers’ investment activities and conducting due diligence, understanding your interests, preferences and needs, providing visitors with a customized digital experience, and presenting new tools and website functions. Below are some examples of how we use personal information about you:
- Personal information – used to perform due diligence regarding potential investments, investment advisors or fund managers, and to manage Ontario Teachers’ investments; also used to perform research in order to gauge the digital audience as well as reporting on marketing and communication performance.
- Contact information – used to communicate with you.
- Aggregate information – used to design and manage Website content and functions.
Your information may also be shared with third parties who provide services on our behalf. Below are some examples of third parties that we share your personal information with, and why:
- Analytics providers – disclosed to track and monitor the use of the Website, and to build content for the Website.
- Social engagement tool providers – disclosed to monitor your interest in us and to manage marketing and communications campaigns.
Some third parties that provide services to us may be located, or may store personal information necessary to provide such services, outside Canada. Personal information stored outside Canada may be subject to the laws of the country in which the third party is located or the data is stored. That country may have laws requiring personal information be disclosed to government bodies or courts under different circumstances than would apply in Canada.
Whenever personal information is transferred to a third party service provider, we impose contractual obligations on such service provider to protect that information and to limit its use only to purposes required for the service. We perform privacy and security due diligence in respect of all third parties that are engaged to provide services to us. The purpose of this exercise is to determine whether a prospective third party service provider maintains the administrative, technical and physical safeguarding measures to protect your personal information while in the custody of such third party service provider, and otherwise assess privacy risks involved in the proposed service provider arrangement.
In some circumstances, we’re permitted by law to use and disclose personal information about you without your consent. For example, in addition to the personal information that’s required by law to administer the plan, your personal information may be used or disclosed to investigate and prevent fraud, to protect the rights, interests and property of Ontario Teachers’, its employees, and members of the plan, or if required by a court order.
By accessing and using the Website, you’re consenting to the collection of your website use behaviour.
- Web pages visited
- Length of visits
- Successful downloads of any resources.
This information may be used to help us better understand visitor interests, preferences and needs, provide visitors with a customized online experience, and to present new tools and website functions. While we never sell your personal information to other organizations or individuals, certain analytics tools may track user internet behaviours which may result in internet based advertising.
However, you’re always free to block, delete, or disable these technologies if your browser, application, or device so permits. Please review your device and browser settings to allow all, allow some, or block all cookies.
Please note that if you block cookies or other similar technologies, you may not be able to take advantage of certain site features, services, applications, or tools.
You may request access to your personal information that we have on file. However, in certain situations, we may not be able to provide access to all the personal information we hold about you. If that’s the case, we’ll explain the reasons for our decision when responding to your request. For example, in some cases the information may contain details about other individuals, or there may be legal, security, or commercial proprietary reasons why information is withheld.
To request access to your personal information not readily available to you, please make a request in writing identifying yourself, the information you want to review and how we can contact you.
Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan
Fax: (416) 730-5349
Mail: 5650 Yonge Street, Toronto, Ontario M2M 4H5
We’ll retain your personal information for as long as necessary to maintain and improve the performance of the Website, or as otherwise permitted or required by law.
If you have any questions about how long we’ll retain your personal information, please contact us.
We use safeguards designed to protect your personal information against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. Below are some examples of how we protect your information:
- Administrative – access to personal information is limited to employees on a “need to know” basis as required for their business functions, and employees are trained on our privacy practices.
- Technical – firewalls, data encryption, and information access authorization controls are used to prevent unauthorized access to information.
- Physical – production of hard copy documents containing personal information is discouraged and limited to legitimate business functions. Any hard copy documents containing personal information are expressly labeled as containing personal information and stored in locked filing cabinets that have restricted access. Documents are shredded or otherwise destroyed when no longer needed.
Safeguards are periodically reviewed to ensure they continue to be appropriate in protecting your personal information.
We’d like to remind you that messages sent over the internet, including email, are never 100% secure. You should exercise caution in deciding what information to send to us by email and how to secure it. We take necessary precautions to prevent sending sensitive personal information, such as SIN, date of birth, bank account numbers and names of beneficiaries, etc., to you via email.
We’ll never send you unsolicited email requests for personal information. Should you ever receive a suspicious email that looks to be from us, don’t click on it and contact us immediately.