Go to the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan main homepage
Skip to main content

Life & Career Events

Required Documents

Here's what we'll need:

  • Your birth certificate
  • Your marriage certificate (if you're married) or a Statutory Declaration of Common-law Relationship (if you have a common-law spouse)
  • Your married or common-law spouse's birth certificate
  • Your separation agreement or divorce papers (if applicable)
  • Your CPP Notice of Entitlement or Statement of Denial (if you are receiving or have applied for a disability pension from the Canada Pension Plan)

Your birth certificate and your spouse's birth certificate

If you cannot obtain a birth certificate, we'll accept any of the following documents as proof of age:

  • Ontario driver's license
  • Canadian passport
  • Canadian citizenship papers
  • Baptismal certificate
  • Affidavit regarding the entry of your date of birth in the family bible
  • Affidavit by a parent or older sibling stating your date of birth
  • Notice from an insurance company indicating your date of birth and stating it has obtained proof

If you can't find a birth certificate that was issued in Ontario, you can obtain a replacement copy in as little as 15 business days by applying online. To obtain a copy by other methods, contact the Registrar General at 416-325-8305 or toll free at 1-800-461-2156.

Marriage certificate

If you don't have a marriage certificate and you were married in Ontario, contact the Registrar General for a replacement copy at 416-325-8305 or toll free at 1-800-461-2156.

If you don't have a marriage certificate and you were married outside Ontario, we require an affidavit of your marital status. An affidavit is a written statement sworn before a Commissioner of Oaths or notary public, such as a lawyer. You can find a notary public in the Yellow Pages.

If you have a common-law spouse, please complete a Statutory Declaration of Common-law Relationship (158 KB PDF).

Your separation agreement

If you don't have a separation agreement, please complete a Statutory Declaration of Separation (88 KB PDF). If you're now divorced, we need your divorce papers instead of your separation papers.

Your divorce papers

If your divorce occurred after 1984, we require a photocopy of either your divorce order or certificate of divorce. If your divorce occurred before 1985, we require a copy of your decree absolute.

If you can't find your divorce papers, contact the Central Divorce Registry at 613-957-4519 and ask for your divorce file number. Once you have the file number, you can request proof of your divorce from the court where the divorce was heard. Contact the Ministry of the Attorney General to locate court offices in Ontario or visit its website at: www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/courts.

Your CPP Notice of Entitlement

This document is needed only if you are receiving or have been approved for a disability pension from the Canada Pension Plan (CPP). Contact CPP directly at 1-800-277-9914 to replace a missing notice or for more information.

We will accept documents in languages other than English and French if accompanied by a translation of the entire document.