We use our influence as a global investor to improve the investing landscape and clarify expectations of companies.
We work with leading organizations, like-minded peers, policymakers, market regulators, thought leaders and researchers around the world to advance the practice of responsible investing, promote effective corporate governance, and improve regulations.
We list below initiatives that we play an active role on:
- Accounting for sustainability CFO leadership network (Canadian Chapter): Works with Chief Financial Officers and their teams across Canada to advance understanding and enhance discussion about sustainability, commercially viable business models and how the finance industry can contribute.
- Asian Corporate Governance Association (ACGA): The ACGA is dedicated to working with investors, companies and regulators in the implementation of effective corporate governance practices throughout Asia.
- Canadian Coalition for Good Governance (CCGG): The pre-eminent corporate governance organization in Canada, CCGG is uniquely positioned to effect change as the voice of Canadian institutional shareholders. Ontario Teachers’ is the Chair of CCGG’s Environmental and Social (E&S) Committee, and a member of the Public Policy Committee. We also contributed to the creation of guide to help directors assess and oversee E&S factors.
- Climate Action 100+: Ontario Teachers’ joined the Climate Action 100+ initiative along with more than 200 investors to engage with the public companies that have the highest greenhouse gas emissions.
- Expert Panel on Sustainable Finance: Helps to foster a regulatory and policy framework in Canada that can help fight climate change and build the low-carbon economy. Our Chief Risk & Strategy Officer, Barbara Zvan, was one of four expert panel members. Read the Final Report of the Expert Panel on Sustainable Finance.
- Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB): GRESB assesses the sustainability performance of real estate and infrastructure portfolios and assets worldwide. Ontario Teachers’ has been a GRESB member since 2011 and is part of the GRESB Infrastructure Investor Advisory Board.
- International Centre for Pension Management (ICPM): The ICPM stimulates leading-edge thinking and practice about pension design and management. We were part of ICPM’s Climate Change Working Group, which developed Climate Change for Asset Owners, a guide for trustees and plan managers to begin integrating climate change considerations in the investment process.
- Investor Leadership Network: We are a founding member and work with other global investor to facilitate and accelerate collaboration on key issues related to sustainability and long-term growth.
- International Corporate Governance Network (ICGN): The ICGN promotes effective standards of corporate governance and investor stewardship to advance efficient markets and sustainable economies world-wide.
- Institutional Limited Partners Association (ILPA): The ILPA engages, empowers and connects limited partners (LPs) to maximize their performance on an individual, institutional and collective basis.
- Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB): SASB establishes and maintains disclosure standards on sustainability matters that facilitate communication by companies to investors of decision-useful information. Ontario Teachers’ is a founding member of SASB’s Investor Advisory Group.
We have endorsed and participate in the following initiatives:
- CDP: CDP runs the global disclosure system that enables companies, cities, states and regions to measure and manage their environmental impacts.
- Clarkson Centre for Board Effectiveness: The Centre monitors Canadian corporate governance trends and provides guidance to firms looking to improve their board effectiveness and disclosure.
- Ceres: Ontario Teachers’ contributed to the Ceres Investor Water Toolkit, a guide to help investors evaluate and act on water risks in their portfolios.
- Council of Institutional Investors (CII): CII promotes policies that enhance long-term value for U.S. institutional asset owners and their beneficiaries.
- Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI): EITI is the global standard for the good governance of oil, gas and mineral resources.
- Harvard Institutional Investor Forum (HIIF): HIIF aims at contributing to discourse, policy making and education with respect to institutional investors and issues of interest to them.
- Institute of International Finance (IIF): The IIF is the leading voice for the financial services industry on global regulatory issues.
- Pension Investment Association of Canada (PIAC): PIAC promotes sound investment practices and good governance for the benefit of pension plan sponsors and beneficiaries.
- Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI): As a signatory, Ontario Teachers’ completes the Responsible Investing Transparency Report. The report is designed to ensure accountability and facilitate dialogue between investors and their stakeholders.
- UK Stewardship Code: The UK Stewardship Code aims to enhance the quality of engagement between investors and companies to help improve long-term risk-adjusted returns to shareholders.