Recent investments at Teachers'

August 27, 2012

Teachers' investment team searches the world for the best opportunities. Here are two highlights from some of the activity that we've seen so far in 2012.

Norwegian apparel brand comes into Teachers' fold

We've acquired a majority ownership stake in the iconic Norwegian outdoor apparel designer and marketer, Helly Hansen Group AS.

Terms of the transaction have not been disclosed. Altor Fund II will retain a 25% equity stake in the company, with Teachers' acquiring the other 75%.

Helly Hansen is based in Oslo, with approximately 500 employees. In 2011, the company had revenues of roughly C$265 million.

"We see excellent opportunities to continue growing revenues and international awareness outside the core European markets," said Jo Taylor, Teachers' Private Capital's Vice-President and head of Teachers' London office.

Teachers' enters South Korean market

Our acquisition of a 9.9% stake in Kyobo Life Insurance Co. Ltd., marks our first direct investment in South Korea.

The investment is worth approximately US$400 million. Kyobo Life, a privately-held company, is the third-largest insurer in South Korea and is headquartered in Seoul. It offers a broad range of life insurance products to its 4.5 million retail customers.