Go to the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan main homepage
Skip to main content


Participating Employers

You must contribute to the plan if you're qualified as a teacher and employed in any of the following ways:

  • in any capacity:
  • as a teacher:
    • in a school (within the meaning of the Education Act) in Ontario — Bloorview School Authority, Campbell Children's School Authority, Centre Jules-Léger Consortium, John McGivney Children's Centre School Authority, Kidsability School Authority and Niagara Peninsula Children’s Centre  
    • as a teacher in a school outside Ontario under an approved teacher exchange system
    • by the Minister of a Ministry of the Government of Ontario
    • in a school or a class operated by the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

Ontario government ministry

For pension plan purposes, you're considered to be employed in education if you work as a teacher for an Ontario government ministry. For example, you're employed in education if:

  • you're seconded from a board of education to teach for a ministry; or
  • you teach at a school operated by the Ministry of Education.

Defining "teaching" in other circumstances isn't always easy. For example, teaching inmates for the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services is considered teaching, but marking papers for a credit course isn't, unless you're also required to communicate with students as part of your job.

Working after retirement?

If you're a retired member of the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan who works in any capacity for any participating employer, there are limits on the number of days you can work without affecting your pension. See Working after retirement for more information.

If you have any questions or if you're uncertain whether your position is covered, please contact us.