Around the world with Teachers'
May 13, 2014
We're always asking: Where do we need to be next to get the best investment opportunities and results over the next decade?
Jump aboard for a quick trip on the Teachers' Pension Plan Express. Each stop has an investment connection to your pension fund.
The Facts: North America
- $40+ billion in federal, provincial and corporate bonds
- Ownership in TMX Group, which runs the Toronto Stock Exchange
- Hudson's Bay Company, which bought Saks last year
- BluEarth Renewables, a Calgary developer of renewable energy projects
- Luxury goods maker Michael Kors
Investing in a Montreal renaissance
Cadillac Fairview, our wholly-owned real estate company, plans to invest $2 billion in a 15-year project that will transform Montreal's downtown core.
Known as Quad Windsor, the modern collection of new office and residential towers will dress up the skyline on Saint-Antoine and Peel streets. The project also features retail shops, improved connections to nearby districts and a large urban park.
The Facts: South America
- Chilean water utilities ESSBIO and Esval
- Grupo BTG Pactual, a Brazilian investment bank and asset manager
Investing in Brazilian real estate
- Multiplan Empreendimentos Imobiliarios S.A. is the largest shopping mall company in Brazil and also develops residential and commercial real estate.
- Multiplan was our largest public company holding at the end of 2013, with a value of $1.2 billion.
The Facts: Asia-Pacific
- Sydney Desalination Plant
- New Zealand timberland
- Kyobo, the largest life insurance company in Korea
- Samsung Electronics
Investing in Chinese ecommerce
We own a stake in JD.com, which operates China's second-largest ecommerce company. It's a bit like Amazon and FedEx – combined.
JD.com sells electronics, books, small appliances, sporting goods and other items online, and has built warehouses and logistics infrastructure across China to deliver those products to customers within a day or two.
The Facts: Europe and Africa
- ISS World, a facility services company based in Denmark
- Upscale clothing designers Helly Hansen and HUGO BOSS
- Brussels Airport in Belgium and Copenhagen airport in Denmark
- Bristol and Birmingham airports in Britain
- South African financial services company Alexander Forbes
Investing in rail travel
We are a co-owner of HS1 Ltd, which operates and maintains the 109-km high-speed railway between London and the Channel Tunnel.
HS1 Ltd owns the stations along the route, including the restored Victorian-era St Pancras International, one of London's great transportation hubs.
Teachers' Fund: Fast facts (as of Dec. 31, 2013)
- $140.8 billion in net assets
- $13.7 billion in investment earnings
- 10.9% rate of return