Commentaries and Submissions on Key Issues
As responsible investors, we speak out on important issues that affect capital markets, securities regulations, financial reporting, other corporate regulations and the value of our plan's assets.
We also support governance research initiatives by the Clarkson Centre for Business Ethics and Board Effectiveness at the Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, and other institutions. The Board Shareholder Confidence Index compiled by the Clarkson Centre is an annual review of corporate governance practices in Canadian publicly traded companies.
When submitting documents about regulatory issues, we consider investment best practices, advancement of good governance, implications for the plan's performance and protection of our members' assets.
Our comments and submissions are available by year, below.
- November 28, 2014 — Endorsement of Asian Corporate Governance Association (ACGA) submission on Weighted Voting Rights in Hong Kong
- September 23, 2014 — Joint Statement to UN on Climate-Resilient Infrastructure Investments
- September 8, 2014 — Joint response to PRI governance review (follow up to March 1 response)
- August 21, 2014 — Council of Institutional Investors’ letter to U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission to facilitate the use of universal proxy cards
- May 15, 2014 — Response to Industry Canada's consultation on the Canada Business Corporations Act
- March 1, 2014 — Joint response to PRI re governance structure
- February 14, 2014 — Governance Comment: Teachers' annual review of emerging issues
- January 30, 2014 — Clarkson Centre - CEO & Chair Structure in Canada and U.S