Commentaries and Submissions on Key Issues
As responsible investors, we speak out on important issues that affect capital markets, securities regulations, financial reporting, other corporate regulations and the value of our plan's assets.
We also support governance research initiatives by the Clarkson Centre for Business Ethics and Board Effectiveness at the Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, and other institutions. The Board Shareholder Confidence Index compiled by the Clarkson Centre is an annual review of corporate governance practices in Canadian publicly traded companies.
When submitting documents about regulatory issues, we consider investment best practices, advancement of good governance, implications for the plan's performance and protection of our members' assets.
Our comments and submissions are available by year, below.
- December 19, 2013 — Clarkson Centre – Director Tenure Report
- November 13, 2013 — Joint submission to CSA on proxy voting
- November 7, 2013 — Teachers' supports Ontario government economic statement
- October 9, 2013 — Letter to Indonesia Financial Services Authority supporting Asian Corporate Governance Association thoughts on proxy voting challenges
- October 7, 2013 — Submission to OSC consultation regarding women on boards and in senior management
- August 2, 2013 — Council of Institutional Investors (CII) Advisory Council's submission to NYSE and NASDAQ supporting adoption of the majority vote standard in director elections (OTPP is a member of the CII Advisory Council)
- July 24, 2013 — Submission to Ontario Securities Commission on proposed amendments to OSC Rule 45-501
- July 12, 2013 — Submission to Canadian Securities Administrators on changes to Early Warning System
- July 12, 2013 — Submission to Canadian Securities Administrators on changes to Security Holder Rights Plans
- June 10, 2013 — Commentary – Proxy Season Review
- May 29, 2013 — OECD Principles of Long-Term Investment Financing by Institutional Investors Comments from Canadian Pension Plans - Joint commentary on the draft OECD Principles of Long-Term Investment Financing by Institutional Investors
- April 4, 2013 — Commentary: TPC supports disclosure framework for ESG factors
- March 13, 2013 — Joint letter to South Africa securities regulators on re-election of executive directors
- March 8, 2013 — Joint letter from pension managers to US Government supporting reforms in US capital markets
- February 11, 2013 — Governance Comment: Teachers' annual review of emerging issues