Commentaries and Submissions on Key Issues
As responsible investors, we speak out on important issues that affect capital markets, securities regulations, financial reporting, other corporate regulations and the value of our plan's assets.
We also support governance research initiatives by the Clarkson Centre for Business Ethics and Board Effectiveness at the Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, and other institutions. The Board Shareholder Confidence Index compiled by the Clarkson Centre is an annual review of corporate governance practices in Canadian publicly traded companies.
When submitting documents about regulatory issues, we consider investment best practices, advancement of good governance, implications for the plan's performance and protection of our members' assets.
Our comments and submissions are available by year, below.
- November 8, 2012 — Letter to Stock Exchange of Hong Kong expresses support for Asian Corporate Governance Association’s view on the Consultation Paper on Board Diversity
- November 5, 2012 — Comments to Toronto Stock Exchange relate to proposed amendments to Part IV of the TSX Company Manual
- September 27, 2012 — Comments to Ontario Securities Commission relate to facilitating shareholder empowerment, improving the proxy voting system and effective enforcement and compliance.
- September 21, 2012 — Comments to Canadian Securities Administrators relate to Consultation Paper 25-401 Regulation of Proxy Advisors
- May 7, 2012 — Governance Comment: Teachers’ will vote against Sprint Nextel Corp. compensation practices
- March 1, 2012 — Clarkson Centre - Auditor Independence Report
- March 1, 2012 — Clarkson Centre - Majority Voting Report
- January 31, 2012 — Letter to Japan's Ministry of Justice expresses support for Asian Corporate Governance Association's views on proposed revisions to legislation.
- January 30, 2012 — Governance Comment: Teachers' annual review of emerging issues