Commentaries and Submissions on Key Issues
As responsible investors, we speak out on important issues that affect capital markets, securities regulations, financial reporting, other corporate regulations and the value of our plan's assets.
We also support governance research initiatives by the Clarkson Centre for Business Ethics and Board Effectiveness at the Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, and other institutions. The Board Shareholder Confidence Index compiled by the Clarkson Centre is an annual review of corporate governance practices in Canadian publicly traded companies.
When submitting documents about regulatory issues, we consider investment best practices, advancement of good governance, implications for the plan's performance and protection of our members' assets.
Our comments and submissions are available by year, below.
- November 22, 2011 — Letter to United States Securities and Exchange Commission relates to File No. 4-600 Work Plan for the Consideration of Incorporation of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) into the Financial Reporting System for US Issuers
- November 7, 2011 — Comments to Autorité des marches financiers and Ontario Securities Commission relate to Maple Group Offer for TMX Group
- October 11, 2011 — Response to Toronto Stock Exchange on proposed amendments related to director elections, including majority voting.
- August 4, 2011 — Comments to the Monetary Authority of Singapore expresses support for Asian Corporate Governance Association’s views on Proposed Revision to the Code of Corporate Governance
- June 14, 2011 — Comments to Singapore Exchange relate to Proposed Rule Changes on General Meeting to Increase Shareholder Engagement and Enhance Corporate Governance
- June 10, 2011 — Letter to Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister (India) expresses support for Asian Corporate Governance Association’s views on the recommendations of the Standing Committee on Finance
- May 30, 2011 — Clarkson Centre - Compensation Committee Report
- May 30, 2011 — Clarkson Centre - Audit Committee Report
- March 31, 2011 — Comments to Ontario Securities Commission related to regulation of voting in uncontested director elections, advisory votes on executive compensation and review of the proxy voting system.
- February 17, 2011 — Comments to Canadian Securities Administrators relate to proposed amendments to Form 51-102F6 Statement of Executive Compensation