Commentaries and Submissions on Key Issues
As responsible investors, we speak out on important issues that affect capital markets, securities regulations, financial reporting, other corporate regulations and the value of our plan's assets.
We also support governance research initiatives by the Clarkson Centre for Business Ethics and Board Effectiveness at the Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, and other institutions. The Board Shareholder Confidence Index compiled by the Clarkson Centre is an annual review of corporate governance practices in Canadian publicly traded companies.
When submitting documents about regulatory issues, we consider investment best practices, advancement of good governance, implications for the plan's performance and protection of our members' assets.
Our comments and submissions are available by year, below.
- December 20, 2010 — Clarkson Centre - Governance Monitor - Majority Voting
- December 1, 2010 — 2010 Report on Corporate Governance in Canada
- November 22, 2010 — Governance comment: Guidelines Updated
- October 29, 2010 — Response to the Ontario Ministry of Finance White Paper
- July 23, 2010 — Governance comment: Teachers’ votes to oppose Magna arrangement – intends to oppose the arrangement at Ontario Court of Justice Fairness Hearing
- June 3, 2010 — Governance comment: Teachers’ says ‘no’ to Magna-style dual share collapses
- April 19, 2010 — Letter to Senator Christopher Dodd expresses support for legislation to create the Restoring American Financial Stability Act (Dodd-Frank)
- March 15, 2010 — Comments to Financial Services Agency (Japan) expresses support for Asian Corporate Governance Association’s view on the FSA’s memo “Outline of Proposal of Disclosure Items concerning Corporate Governance”
- March 4, 2010 — Governance Comment: Voting intentions for advisory votes on compensation